On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Jim Lucas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Think the opposite from what you just described.  What I want to be able
>  to do is have a pool of numbers from which I can assign a range or
>  individual numbers to a given customer.  But this tool is not to track
>  the customers, but rather allow me to keep track of which numbers are
>  still available from the predefined number range.  While also taking
>  into account tracking vanity numbers, and numbers that have previously
>  been assigned and need to be held for at least 90 days.
>
>  For now, this is the minimum of what I need.  I will need to be able to
>  modify the source code to tie into our current billing system and be
>  able to reference a customers account.

I'm not sure how things are now that number portability is available.
A couple of my previous employers were cellular phone companies. It
was my understanding that we had to purchase blocks of numbers within
a prefix. Thus, for any given prefix (NXX) we had the entire range of
10,000 number (0000-9999). There may be numbers within the range that
were reserved for special purposes. These were loaded as individual
rows in a database that could be searched and assigned as needed.
Thus, we knew what numbers we "owned" and also knew, from our
subscriber records which numbers were in service. At that point, it
would be a matter of database joins.

However, I haven't worked in the industry for almost 8 years now (and
my job was not very technical at the time), so I'm not sure what
wrinkles things like number portability have thrown in or how it is
handled.

Andrew