On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 21:56 -0700, Rob Gould wrote:
> I'm having a hard time figuring out why my character sets and data look when
> when viewed in phpAdmin when browsing the table-columns, but then I go to
> show the data on my web-page with PHP, I get garbage-characters where I
> should be seeing apostrophs and special foreign-characters.
>
> I copied all the header-data from the phpAdmin pages:

>     "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
> <head>

> where the characters all show up properly, and I've put this on my web-page.
>
> Here's what I know about my database, according to myphpadmin:
>
> >From the phpAdmin settings page:
>
> MySQL charset:  UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
> MySQL connection collation:  utf8_unicode_ci
>
> >From the Structure tab for my table:
>
> Type:  MyISAM
> Collation:  utf8_unicode_ci
>

> So, based on the headers I'm using, and the myphpAdmin settings, is there
> something I'm missing?  I guess I was assuming since the headers are set for
> utf-8, and the "MySQL charset = UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)", that everything would
> be compatible.

Do you have this in your php.ini?

    default_charset = "utf-8"

Or if you want... the following in a .htaccess or virtual host config:

    php_value default_charset utf-8

You can even manually output it from within your PHP code:

    header( 'Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8' );

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com