I'm trying to figure out a way that SQL can pass a flag to PHP to say which
column "matched" during a query.

Let's say for instance that I want to search for the word "apple" in both
column "producer", and column "designation".  I was hoping I could do something
like this:

Select producer, flag=1 from wine
where producer like '%apple%'
UNION
Select designation, flag=2 from wine
where designation like '%apple%'

and then in each row that comes back, I could determine which column did that
match by doing a PHP analysis of the "flag" value.  However, this doesn't
appear to be the right way to go about this (mySQL doesn't like these flag=1,
flag=2 things.

Can someone help steer me in the right direction?