The template defines the look and feel for a class of pages.  The advantage
is in allowing you to change one file -- the template file -- and have your
changes be reflected in all the individual pages that use the template
WITHOUT having to individually edit all of those pages.

For smaller sites, this may not be a big deal, but, for sites with
thousands of pages, you clearly want to avoid hand-edits if at all possible.

I'm personally reworking my online portfolio, and I'm now using templates
so I can present a different look and feel to suit different potential
clients.

FYI, at the last ThunderLizard web design conference, a presenter speaking
about content management tools said that most sites only need 6 or so
templates ... that there are usually only 6 categories of pages.