On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:00 PM, David Giragosian
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 4/16/08, tedd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >
>  > At 10:53 AM -0400 4/16/08, Andrew Ballard wrote:
>  >
>  > > On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 9:59 AM, tedd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  >  I saw one the other day that caught my eye -- will look into it.
>  > >
>  > > >
>  > > > The first problem I see implementing the approach is the JavaScript
>  > > sandbox. JavaScript is allowed to read the text of the input file
>  > > field (and thus know the file name and path once a file has been
>  > > selected); it cannot access the disk to actually get to the image or
>  > > do anything with it. From here, I'm thinking there are a couple things
>  > > you could do with JavaScript. The first would be to embed the image
>  > > into the web page using an IMG tag, which would allow you to determine
>  > > the pixel dimensions (but not the actual file size). The second would
>  > > be what Gmail seems to do, and actually upload the form to their
>  > > server with some sort of AJAX request, at which time your server could
>  > > return information on the size of the file. However, if the file is
>  > > too large, you're back to the original problem of needing to increase
>  > > the RAM limit in PHP.
>  > >
>  > > The second problem is, as I said, I'm not aware of any JavaScript that
>  > > can manipulate the image. JavaScript can cause the display of an image
>  > > to be resized within the browser, but that doesn't actually affect the
>  > > stored file. I don't know, but I guess if you could actually get to
>  > > the bits, you could probably write an algorithm in JavaScript to
>  > > resize an image by manipulating the bits, but I think it would be
>  > > dreadfully slow if it would even run without running out of resources.
>  > >
>  > > I think the only pure-client options are either Java (which would
>  > > require special permissions to get out of its own sandbox) or ActiveX.
>  > >
>  > > If you know of some other approach, I'd be interested to see how it
>  > > works.
>  > >
>  > > Andrew
>  > >
>  >
>  >
>  > Andrew:
>  >
>  > I think you are right -- I wasn't able to resize the image. Here's the
>  > link that caught my eye, but it doesn't work as described:
>  >
>  > http://javascript.internet.com/forms/image-upload-preview.html
>  >
>  > Cheers,
>  >
>  > tedd
>  > --
>  >

> [...]

I get nothing in either browser.

FF: only the first header line; no content
HTTP/0.9 200 OK

IE:
 The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to
adjust your browser settings.
[snip]
Cannot find server or DNS Error

Andrew