Tony Marston wrote:
Audit logging - http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql/auditlog.html
Workflow - http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql/workflow.html

Yuck - MySQL :(
A decent database has it's own logging stuff built in ;)
And a decent database library does not care which database you use :)

I think that there is a reasonable 'breakpoint' here. As soon as you what an application structure where users need to log in and security needs managing then ideally that is provided by the framework. Decent frameworks use well established libraries to provide some of those functions - ADOdb and smarty suit me nicely. I can write stand alone stuff via ADOdb direct, or I can work via the framework and access second level functions such as gallery, board, editing and the like. Some applications can directly access the libraries, and that is the hole I have 'dug' myself into since moving from the earlier simple 'framework' to something that provides a proper security and expandability is now proving difficult.

'If it isn't broken don't fix it' causes a problem when YOU know that the step change will make future development easier, but the customers keep asking - 'Can you just add XXX' :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL