"Richard Heyes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Then surely "designed well" would include a normalised database?
>
> Not necessarily. You could for example have a database that accommodates
> future needs without being completely normalised.

That depends on your definition of "completely normalised". Up to 3NF is
normally sufficient, whereas up to 6NF might be excessive. But any degree of
normalisation is better than not having any normalisation at all.

The point I am trying to make is that a totally unnormalised database is
something which a competent designer will tend to avoid like the plague.
Only a complete novice will throw together a database which has 0NF.

--
Tony Marston
http://www.tonymarston.net