bouncing back to the list..

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Satterwhite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, May 9, 2008 at 3:09 PM
Subject: Re: [PHP] php.ini
To: Nathan Nobbe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Friday 09 May 2008 13:43:27 you wrote:
> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Michael Satterwhite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> > I do know that on bluehost, they actually encourage people to use their
> > own php.ini file in their web directory ... and users certainly don't
> > have the authority to restart apache.
> >
> > That said - just for grins, I *DID* restart apache2. It made no
> > difference.
>
> (from before) /etc/php5/apache2 is a centralized directory; i surprised
you
> even have access to it on a shared host.  do you have your own instance of
> linux?  either way i sincerely doubt thats the web directory.  i would try
> putting a .htaccess file in your web root.

I never said it was the web directory ... I said that's where php.ini is
being
loaded from. The web directory is /var/www ... that's where the php.ini I
*WANT* loaded is. ...and, yes, I have my own Linux machine that I use for
testing.
> php_flag magic_quotes_gpc = Off
>
> when you look at the output of phpinfo() there will be 2 columns.  one has
> the heading 'master value'  the other has the heading 'local value'  is
the
> local value different than the master value?  it should be if the
.htaccess
> file is working correctly (though you many not have permission to use them
> [but it is typical to allow php configuration via .htaccess on shared
> hosts]).

I've tried that now, and it does work. I was trying to do it through a local
php.ini because I know that's the way bluehost makes us do it, and there are
several websites that document it as a working manner.

I do thank everyone for their help with this.