Thanks for all answers.   Please let me add that I do use CVS (migrating to
 SVN) and the reason to use samba is that doing this allows the developer
machine (windows) to access the shares hosted in a linux server so when
he/she tests it will be run in the 'same' environment that the staging and
production servers and because in order to assure browser compatibility they
have to test from firefox/IE.

If you only have a small number of developers, you could do away with Samba completely and use SftpDrive, which allows you to map a drive to an SFTP account (essentially the same as an SSH account).

http://www.phpguru.org/sftpdrive

--
Richard Heyes