Graham Cossey wrote:
Could someone please point me in the right direction here please?

I have a form textarea field (submitted using POST) that accepts free
text that will include the likes of '£' (pound sterling symbol) that
is written to a MySql database and later retrieved to output into an
HTML email.

I have been experimenting with htmlentities, htmlspecialchars and
addslashes but still have the problem whereby I get "&ACirc;"
preceeding the "£"

Could someone kindly suggest what I'm doing wrong and what function(s)
I should be looking into?

You could just store the amount numerically (and optionally the currency if need be) and just put the £ in your HTML file.

--
              Richard Heyes

         In Cambridge? Employ me
        http://www.phpguru.org/cv