Hey,
one of the things that make the php.net site so cool is how easy it is to find
info for a function or a list of topics.. eg:

http://php.net/arrays
http://php.net/count

I'm sure nearly all of you reading this have done it more times than you would
care to count, i'm trying to get something like this on my own site but even
after going to php.net and clicking on the view source buttons am a bit
confused.

basically this is what i am trying, people who type in
http://www.mysite.com/asdf
should not be shown a 404 not found page but instead "asdf" should be passed
onto my script where i can do a search on the term and either give them back
the results of that search or direct them to a custom 404 page.

since i couldnt find the answer via php.net's source i started messing around
with how i *think* its done... tell me if i am on the correct track: when
someone requests a page that does not exist, a .htaccess file them up and also
takes the page name they were searching for and redirects them to a script...

So far i have only been able to get the .htaccess file point to my custom 404
page... but how do i get it to pass the parameter of the not-found-page to my
script?

Would appreciate any code, tips, urls you can give me.

Thanks!
Ryan

 ------
- The faulty interface lies between the chair and the keyboard.
- Creativity is great, but plagiarism is faster!
- Smile, everyone loves a moron. :-)