As long as your code is well-formatted and well-commented, I don't think
it's a problem, especially for simple forms for quick DB inserts or sending
e-mail.  You can do nice error handling without annoying Javascript alerts,
too; when the form is submitted you can check for missing/invalid field
values - if anything is wrong, just output the form again, but this time
prepopulate the valid fields and highlight the missing ones with red text or
a red outline.

-Andy