At 6/18/2008 02:47 PM, Paul Novitski wrote:
I've got a simple script running as a cron job that's getting intermittent "Lost connection to MySQL server during query" errors.

At 6/18/2008 10:43 PM, Chris wrote:
You need to do a
mysql_close();
mysql_connect(...)

before mysql_query works again - otherwise mysql_connect will just
return the same resource id (or I guess just use the 'new_connection'
flag for mysql_connect and skip the mysql_close()).

Thanks!  Adding the new_link parameter to mysql_connect() did the trick.

What had me stumped before was that each mysql_connect() succeeded but the mysql_select_db() immediately afterward failed. But as the documentation says:

"new_link
"If a second call is made to mysql_connect() with the same arguments, no new link will be established, but instead, the link identifier of the already opened link will be returned. The new_link parameter modifies this behavior and makes mysql_connect() always open a new link, even if mysql_connect() was called before with the same parameters."
http://ca3.php.net/mysql_connect

Reminder to self: RTFM doesn't always work if you think you know the page and don't re-read it with new eyes.

Cheers,
Paul