on pages with mostly HTML code, the second style is much
prefereable, but on pages with mostly PHP code, the first
style is usually OK.

overall, i tend towards the second, becuase it's a pain
in the ass to esape all the double-quotes in my HTML,
my echo statements usulaly end up looking like thi
(which, to me, is terrible form)

echo "<INPUT TYPE=\"TEXT"\" VALUE=\"". $hash['var'] ."\"......

so i usually use this format, which to my eyes
is much prettier :)
        ?>
        <INPUT TYPE="TEXT" VALUE="<?= $hash['var'] ?>">
        <?