Hi,
I have a php page that asks user for a key ( or a list of keys ) and then shows a list of items matching the query.

every item in the list shows its data, and the list of keys it has ( a list of comma-separated words )

I would like to higlight, in the list of keys shown for every item, the words matching the query,

this can be easily achieved with a search and replace, for every search word, i search it in the key list and replace it adding a style tag to higlight it such as for example to have it in red color:

if ( @stripos($keylist,$keysearch!== false ) {
$keylist = str_ireplace($keysearch,'<span style="color: #FF0000">'. $keysearch.'</span>',$keylist);
}

but i have some problem with accented characters:

i have mysql with character encoding utf8, and all the php pages are declared as utf8

mysql in configured to perform queries in a case and accent insensitive way. this mean that if you search for the word 'cafe', you have returned rows that contains in the keyword list 'cafe', but also 'café' with the accent. ( I think it has to do with 'collation' settings, but I'm not investigating at the moment because it is OK for me the way it works ).

now my problem is to find a way ( I imagine with some kind of regular expression ) to achieve in php a search and replace accent- insensitive, so that i can find the word 'cafe' in a string also if it is 'café', or 'CAFÉ', or 'CAFE', and vice-versa.

hope the problem is clear and well-explained in english,

thank you for any tip,

    Giulio