Hello,

My next project will be a kind of online photo viewer. All of these photos
will need to have watermark applied to them. The problem is that, depending
on the picture, different watermarks need to be applied. The easiest
solution would be to process these picture at runtime using GD, apply the
watermark(s) and serve them. The other approach, would be to pre-process
them (maybe using GD) and create different copies on the disk, the obvious
advantage being that it could be served directly via the webserver (apache),
but, it would be much harder to manage (need to fix a watermark error?
Re-process and re-create the images on the disk...) and would take much more
disk space. I would rather process them at runtime, per request, however,
this site will probably have lots of traffic. So, I've reached a deadend.
Could someone share his/her experiences and thoughts and help me decide? :)

FYI, The application would be custom built from the ground up using PHP 5
(Not sure if we will use a framework, if we happen to use, it will be
probably CakePHP). At first, there would be no clusters, proxies or
balancers, just a plain dedicated server with a good CPU, about 4GB RAM and
lots of disk space.

PS: I've put DoS in the subject tagline meaning Denial of Service as I think
that maybe dynamic processing of images X lots of request could result in
DoS.

Thanks in advance,

Marcelo.