On 16 Aug 2008, at 17:03, tedd wrote:
I understand what you are saying -- semantics are important. But if there is a need for temporary place to store values I don't consider it bad form to store them in a numerically indexed array.

For example, if a user was going to purchase up to 10 items, I see nothing wrong is using:

user_purchase[0] = $item0;
user_purchase[9] = $item9;

And as such, one can easily extract what the user purchased by simply using for().

However, in this case I don't see the gain provided by using:

user_purchase['item1'] = $item0;
user_purchase['item9'] = $item9;

But that distinction would be required IF you were using SESSIONs. And that's one of my points -- normal arrays come in two types and the SESSION array don't.

I think you're missing the core of my point. My point only refers to the root level of the $_SESSION array. I have no problem with using numerically-indexed arrays elsewhere - I come from a C background so it's where I started too and frequently use them.

However, in the example above you would not use...

$_SESSION[0] = $item0;
$_SESSION[9] = $item9;

Instead I assert you would have...

$_SESSION['user_purchase'][0] = $item0;
$_SESSION['user_purchase'][9] = $item9;

which is perfectly valid.

I'll try to re-word my basic point... I personally consider it bad to even want to use numeric indexes at the root level of the $_SESSION array because it creates data with no context in a globally accessible location.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/