On 25 September 2008 03:45, VamVan advised:

> So guys,
>
> I found some thing strange that happened to me yesterday. Its small
but
> kinda freaked me out.
>
> So I have a tokenmap.php that I include include in different
configuration
> files. Some are classes and some are simple php files.
>
> So in my tokenmap.php I have declared an array as global.
>
> SO $GLOBAL['tokenmap'] = array()
>
> As a good programming practice what I did was:
>
> require_once('tokenmap.php');
> $tokenmap = array();
> $tokenmap = $GLOBAL['tokenmap'];
> print_r($tokenmap);
>
> The above displays empty array
>
> But when I do this , it works
>
> require_once('tokenmap.php');
> $tokenmap = $GLOBAL['tokenmap'];
> print_r($tokenmap);
>
> Its kind of wierd for me. I am trying to understand. Can some one shed
> some light on it for me.

Well, $GLOBALS['tokenmap'] is *exactly* *the* *same* *thing* as
$tokenmap when you're in the global scope (which I assume you are for
what you describe here to make sense).  So the assignment:

   $tokenmap = array();

is the same as:

   $GLOBALS['tokenmap'] = array();

And the assignment:

   $tokenmap = $GLOBALS['tokenmap'];

is essentially useless as it's the same as:

   $tokenmap = $tokenmap;

... or:

   $GLOBALS['tokenmap'] = $tokenmap;

... or even:

   $GLOBALS['tokenmap'] = $GLOBALS['tokenmap'];

Cheers!

Mike

 --
Mike Ford,  Electronic Information Developer,
C507, Leeds Metropolitan University, Civic Quarter Campus,

To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to
http://disclaimer.leedsmet.ac.uk/email.htm