AVS generally only exists for us and canada and parts of the uk, if I
remember correctly. Usually they're just looking for the beginning
part of the street address, not the concatenation or anything else
like that. No need for apartment numbers, for example if you're just
looking at avs.

If you're doing a full credit card auth, though, that's a different matter.

Waynn

On 10/18/08, Govinda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> This is not exactly PHP, but an issue that we have to work out in code
> (whatever we use) -
> I am working on a shopping cart site which will have orders from any
> country.
>
> To cut down on fraudulent orders, our cc processor (whatever we call
> them), to enable "Address Verification System (AVS)",  accepts a var/
> value which is "The numeric portion of the street address".  It is
> "Required for AVS".  Now to get this from what the user input, I can:
>
> - just read the *numeric* characters off the front of the first (of 2)
> address text inputs, stopping grabbing them once I reach any non-
> numeric char., or I could
> - get *any* numeric  chars input in that text area and concatenate
> them all together (if there is more than one continuous run of them), or
> - get *any* numeric  chars input in *either* of the address text areas
> and concatenate that all together (if there is more than one
> continuous run of them), or
> - (what are the other possibilities?)
>
> I am asking you guys/gals using AVS:  what are they looking for?  The
> docs make this clear that they want: "The numeric portion of the
> street address", but just because I can't think of addresses that
> don't match a pattern I am thinking of does not mean they don't exist
> or are not valid.  And how should the logic of my algorithm be written
> if it was just for USA addresses?  ... and more importantly - if I am
> writing it to handle addresses from any country?
>
> Thanks for any insight/logic based on experience,  ;-)
>
> -Govinda

Sent from my mobile device