Thodoris wrote:
Hi guys,
I am developing a project and I wrote an interface to import contracts in it. The problem is that when the user uploads the file I don't know what is the encoding it has. So I decided that a good idea is to make the user tell me the encoding from a drop down before I parse the file.

Then I could probably change the encoding with iconv and use it to validate the data and make the inserts in mysql. Although in the unix world I have available the iconv command and I can change the file to the new encoding like this:

iconv -f  CP737 -t UTF-8 -o newfile.csv original_file.csv

I can't find a way to do this from within php. Iconv support gives me some options but only to convert strings and there is not a way AFAIK to get all the supported encodings from the system as I can do in command line with this:

iconv --list

Is this the best way to do this ? Can I use mbstring as an alternative ?

Please make any suggestions you might think because I am stuck.

made this a while back.. might help :)
http://programphp.com/iconv.phps

Thanks Natham this is a nice approach and it certainly helps.

--
Thodoris