Ronald Wiplinger (Lists) wrote:
I need to clear a table (cache) from a database based on the database size.

Our web site uses cached pages. Our webhost only allow us 100 MB
storage. Usually the database is just 10 MB, but when a search engine
crawls our calendar, then the storage is quickly 108 MB. The system
reports then mathematically correct: Space left on database -8MB !!!

I plan therefore a web page, which is triggered by cron every hour and
will just clear the table.

Can I use just:
mysql_query("DELETE FROM cash")
or die(mysql_error());

If you really want to delete all rows, use

truncate cash;

otherwise the db deletes the entries row by row - which will be slow, and also it has to update all indexes on the tables as it is doing it.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/