On Thu, 11/6/08, WEISD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > That is strange. I get pretty balanced results on this
> computer.
> >
> > <?php
> >
> > $histogram = array_fill(1, 10, 0);
> >
> > $iterations = 200000;
> >
> > for ($i = 0; $i < $iterations; ++$i) {
> >    ++$histogram[round(rand(1, 10))];
> > }
> >
> > print_r($histogram);
> >
> > ?>
> >
> > Andrew
>
> Simple code,
>
> <?php
> $number = rand(1, 10);
>
> include("footer$number.html"); ?>
>
> You can see it in action here at the bottom of the page
> there is a footer.
> Each footer is the same right now except I have numbered
> them for testing.
>
> As I refresh the page,  I get footer10 almost always with
> an occasional 2 or
> 4 here and there...
>
> http://www.weisd.com/store2/WINHD-9022.php

Computer functions to generate random numbers are not designed to do what their
name suggests.

Software testing requires repeatability, and this includes random number
generation.

Without knowing how PHP seeds the generator it is difficult to predict what it
will do.

I still think taking the last digit of the current time is your best solution.

Stephen