Jack Bates wrote:
How do I access a static variable when I do not know the name of the
class until runtime?

I have the following example PHP:

ket% cat test.php <?php

class Test
{
  public static
    $STEPS = array(
      'foo',
      'bar');
}

$className = 'Test';

var_dump($className::$STEPS);
ket%
Unfortunately when I run it I get:

ket% php test.php
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM
in /home/jablko/trash/test.php on line 13
ket%
I can call a static function using call_user_func(array($className,
'functionName')), and I can access a class constant using
constant($className.'::CONSTANT_NAME'). How do I access a static
variable?

this is also a not great but usable, stricter and faster solution:

<?php

class TestClass {

        public static $STEPS = array( 'foo' , 'bar' );

        public function steps() {
                return self::getSteps();
        }

        public static function getSteps() {
                return self::$STEPS;
        }

        public static function setSteps( $steps ) {
                self::$STEPS = $steps;

$testClass = new TestClass;

print_r( $testClass->steps() );

?>