I had always thought that faxes were a big no-no for character
recognition software? I know that we can't use it for one of our OCR
solutions because it is just too... well, crappy. The image quality is
nowhere near what it should be for a successful OCR pass.

As for client expectations: hell yes--tell them not to use a fax machine
in the digital age. Scan the document and e-mail it or something. Where
I work, we've done away with 90% of any fax machine usage in order to
have documents that can be used by our OCR solution.

My 2c,

// Todd