On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-24 at 11:23 -0500, Xn Nooby wrote:
>> I am using PHP5 on Ubuntu 8.10 Server, it is being used by Apache and
>> Squirrelmail. I have tried setting the upload_max_filesize in the
>> /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini file, but it only seems to apply after I
>> upload the file. My goal is to prevent remote Squirrelmail users from
>> attaching large files to the emails they are drafting. They have slow
>> connections, and uploading a large file would effectively hang them.
>>

>> Here is my question originally posted to the Ubuntu Forum (before I
>> began understand it was possibly a PHP issue):
>>

>> Is it possible to prevent Squirrelmail users from uploading large
>> files to a server running Squirrelmail?  My testing seems to indicate
>> that the attachment size limits enforced by Squirrelmail take place
>> *after* the file has been uploaded - at which time Squirrelmail aborts
>> the entire message. I will have some remote users, and I do not want
>> them to be able to upload files that are over a limit (say 10MB).
>>
>> If a remote user tries to attach a 500MB attachment to their email, I
>> don't want them to upload the entire 500MB file, only to then have SM
>> abort the message.  I want it to fail immediately, or after the 10MB
>> limit has been reached.
>>
>> I though there was a way to do this in Apache or PHP, but have been
>> unable to find it.  I am running Ubuntu Server 8.10 with Apache,
>> Postfix, Dovecot, and Squirrelmail.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to get the file attaching process to abort
>> before it uploads the entire 500MB file?
>>
>> thanks!
>>
> You could look at amending the form that is shown on the client machines
> browser, and set a size there, although the browser may only use it as a
> suggestion rather than enforce it. Maybe Squirrelmail already has such a
> feature?
>

> Ash
> www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

I was able to solve this by adding the value "LimitRequestBody" to an
Apache/PHP config file. Now it immediately aborts the upload after the
limit has been set. I set the limit to about 11MB with these commands:

sudo vi /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/php5.conf
LimitRequestBody 11222333

thanks!