2009/1/5 Frank Stanovcak <blindspot...@comcast.net>:
> It's been a while since I've programed (VB was on version 4) I was wondering
> if any one could tell me what the diff is between char, varchar, and text in
> mysql.
> I know this isn't a mysql news group, but since I am using php for the
> interaction it seemed like the place to ask.  Thanks in advance, and have a
> great day!

char: the space required for the length of the field is allocated for
each row no matter how much of it is used.

varchar: only the space required for the content of the field is
allocated per row but these fields are limited to 255 chars (IIRC) in
length.

text: for all intents and purposes these have unlimited length (4GBish IIRC).

There is a page in the MySQL manual that explains all of the data
formats. Google for mysql data formats and you'll likely get it.

-Stuart

--
http://stut.net/