If this seems simple to you remember I have no formal training in logic structure or DB design

Neither do I - and probably a lot of others here too ;)

the value of a status field is given in the sdk text as such...
------------
...This number is determined by adding the following values together:

State a = 0
State b = 1
State c = 2

What a bizarre design :(

Example: a State a, State i, State k will have a value of
0 + 256 + 4096 = 4352

So does 256 + 4096. State 'a' has no significant value. If it's not included, you get the same as if it is... unless I'm missing something (which is more than likely).

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/