Hi gang:

I need some fog removed.

I have a problem where I have an unlimited number of tutors teaching an unlimited number of courses. When I call upon a tutor, I want to see all the courses they teach.

In my old days, I would just set up a linked list of courses and attach it to the tutor (another linked list). As a tutor adds courses, I would just add the course to the end of the linked list. If the tutor deletes a course, then I would remove it from the list by changing a single pointer. If I needed a list of all the courses the tutor taught, I would just run down the linked list pulling them out as needed.

But now I have to think in terms of records in a database. I'll eventually figure it out, but what are your suggestions/solutions?

I understand that I can have one record set up for each tutor, and another record set up for each course, and then tie the two together by another record like an assignment. That way I can have as many assignments as I want tying courses to tutors.

It that the way you guys would do it?

Thanks,

tedd

There is a very good schema for doing thing like that in this pdf. Its main purpose is to explain join temporary, tables and transactions but you will find it useful because I think it is relevant with your case.

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-db-design-ch5.pdf

Why don't you give it a try.

--
Thodoris