On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 11:16, PJ <af.gour...@videotron.ca> wrote:

> I don't think it's necessary to be sarcastic...

    That's okay, I'll allow it anyway.

> Hate to disappoint you, but on my computer (FreeBSD 7.0) on Firefox
> Google does not go directly to the php manual... it goes to some nitwit
> site thinkexist.com

    And I hate to disappoint you, but it's not related to the
operating system and browser being used --- it's a centralized remote
database in the form of a search engine.  The result you see with that
(unless you're using some particular language or locality preferences)
is the same I see, the same Per sees, the same Rob sees, the same we
all see.

> So, this list is a much better source of information that waddling
> through the crap that's thrown at you on G.
> And I find that Googie is getting pretty garbagy even if there is
> nothing better around ;-)

    I agree with you on that.  What used to be a superior algorithm is
slowly and inevitably turning into a standard, run-of-the-mill search
engine that's being SPAM'ed and exploited with blackhat SEO crap that
certainly lowers the value of the results as a whole.

> As for the keyboard, this is the first time I have ever, ever needed the
> back quote key although I have occasionally needed the ~ key for Windows
> stuff.

    Yeah, I think the only thing that Windows uses it for is
punctuation, but since ~1970 UNIX has used it for code execution
purposes.  Just keep in mind that, in PHP, it's run completely raw ---
so make sure you do your sanity checks before passing any kind of user
input to that (as always).

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
daniel.br...@parasane.net || danbr...@php.net