Thank you to everybody that replied...but it almost seems it is making extra
work.

I can understand using an include for a menu, since they tend to change
often and it is on every page, but the normal content I am not understanding
the benefit.  If I have a page that has unique content on it, that is to say
no other page has this content, why would I want to create a separate file
to be included on the page, why would I not simple put the content directly
on the page itself?

What is the best type of file to be used as an include (.txt, .php).

Thanks again for all your help.

Gary