On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Per Jessen <p...@computer.org> wrote:
> Peter van der Does wrote:
>
>> I tend to put my return value in a variable and at the end of the
>> function I have 1 return statement.
>> I have seen others doing returns in the middle of the function.
>>
>> Example how I do it:
>> function check($a) {
>>   $return='';
>>   if ( is_array( $a ) ) {
>>     $return='Array';
>>   } else {
>>     $return='Not Array';
>>   }
>>   return $return;
>> }
>>
>> Example of the other method:
>> function check($a) {
>>
>>   if ( is_array( $a ) ) {
>>     return ('Array');
>>   } else {
>>     return ('Not Array');
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> What is your take? And is there any benefit to either method?
>
> It's only about style and coding logic.  In essence, all the return does
> is pop the previous IP off the stack and adjust the stack pointer.  It
> doesn't matter where you do that.
>

> /Per
>

> --
> Per Jessen, Zürich (16.2°C)

That's an interesting subject that I've never considered.

I usually return immediately.  For me, it makes the code easier to
read.  I work with a number of other coders here and, if the result
isn't returned then I have to keep reading through the code to make
sure nothing else is done with it.  However, when I see the 'return'
then I know we're done there.

That said, I often see questionable coding practices in use at work.
I follow this list (and try to read books about the technologies I
use) because I intend to develop good practices for myself.  That in
mind, if anybody feels strongly about doing it the other way, I'd be
interested in understanding its benefits.