Hi,

> I have a file uploader module that allows users to upload documents and of
> course people are using all kinds of file names that are not web friendly.
>
> I guess the best solution is to replace any non alphanumeric with maybe '_'
> the underscore? How does that sound?
>
> Unfortunately, after 20+ years of coding I cannot get my brain around
> regular expressions to any decent level of proficiency, I know sad.
>
> I'd like to hear other solutions for this problem, I am thinking of a regexp
> that replaces special chars with the underscore; sounds pretty robust and
> globally acceptable?

I replace any non alpha chat with a hyphen, then replace two or more
hyphens with one. Simple, but I would also include the date so that
naming clashes are less likely (if it's applicable). So you might end
up with something similar to this:

/product/2009/06/03/24ct-gold-earrings

Or if using the date is not applicable, you could get something like this:

/product/24ct-gold-earrings

--
Richard Heyes
HTML5 graphing: RGraph (www.rgraph.net - updated 23rd May)