On Jul 5, 2009, at 2:33 PM, Govinda wrote:

I am confusing myself reading the docs just now.

i.e.:
include_path
basename()
and dirname()

I had thought from many months ago that
<?php include '/somedir/somefile.php'; ?>
would include
somefile.php
living in
somedir
regardless from where in the site structure I am calling it.

Now it does not seem to be doing that.

What is the safest (portable) way to properly build an include path *regardless* from where in my site I am calling the include? If I understand right I can put includes in a dir/ specified by the include_path setting, but I also want to know how to do this from just within the root of my virtual server.

-Govinda

in my include statement, I am now successfully using:
/home/metheuser/public_html/
and am not anticipating moving this site.. but still I am thinking there must be a way to make the code bullet proof to dir/ name changes *after* the virtual server root.
Or do people just stop here?