At 7:30 PM -0400 7/8/09, D.M.Jackson wrote:
Thanks guys.  I was just wondering if it was common practice to pass all
those variables in the SESSION object or if I was following a bad example
because it was the first time that I had seen so many variables passed this
way.  If this is the typical way of handling this in php then I don't have a
problem with it, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't getting off to a
bad start and picking up bad habits while learning php.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark:

As a personal choice, I try to reduce the number of variables I carry in sessions as much as possible. To me sessions are similar to Globals and Globals create an environment that is generally not conducive to writing self-contained and reusable code.

Typically when I'm dealing with many variables, the variables are usually contained in a database. If this is the case, then I only pass the id of the record in a session and allow the page to open the database to retrieve the variables it needs. I have found that the more session variables you pass, the more complicated the code.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------