"Steve Werby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> So unfortunately vrfy will only be useful when checking servers that haven't
> disabled that command.  :-(

If I understand correctly, vrfy does not wholy depend on that
functionality to be supported by the server.  I think that it simply
connects to the smtp port of the mail exchanger and emulates an email
delivery, aborting halfway.  Basically it wants to determine whether
the mail exchanger would accept email for a given domain.  In most
cases it won't give you 100% certainty that the email addy is legit,
but at least you know that the domain part is not faked, and there is
a mail exchanger willing to serve it.
--
Arcady Genkin
i=1; while 1, hilb(i); i=i+1; end