PHP pages won't open at all on my server.  HTML pages open fine, but when
going to the PHP pages that are on my server, the browser tries to download
the page like a file instead of presenting it by the browser.  What can I do
to make the PHP processor to be handled properly?  Do I need to recompile it
again, and if so, what switches should I use?

I am running Apache version 2.2.11.  I'm on Fedora 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 on that
particular server.  I'm running PHP 5.2.9 which I downloaded directly from
the php web site, then untarred, ran make, and make install commands as
described in the php INSTALL file that was included with the distribution..

==================

Example 2-4. Installation Instructions (Apache 2 Shared Module Version)
1.  gzip -d httpd-2_0_NN.tar.gz
2.  tar xvf httpd-2_0_NN.tar
3.  gunzip php-NN.tar.gz
4.  tar -xvf php-NN.tar
5.  cd httpd-2_0_NN
6.  ./configure --enable-so
7.  make
8.  make install

You will probably try to talk me into using yum, I would like to but it is
broken and fixing it leads to even more troblemshooting.  I want to fix this
first, then I will tackle the yum issue next.