On 9/13/09 10:24 PM, "Tommy Pham" <tommy...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]

SERVER_NAME returns whatever apache has as the vhost's configured server
name.

the php manual says of HTTP_HOST: "Contents of the Host: header from the
current request, if there is one." in which the last 4 words are a little
off-putting. but:

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.23

i much more encouraging. the field is mandatory and should have what i'm
looking for. it's absence is cause for a 400. casual testing (with a modern
non-ie browser) seems to bear this out.

so i'll try using that with fallback to my current techniques if i don't
find a good value in HTTP_HOST.