From: Michael Kimsal [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 5:54 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: PHP General List (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [PHP]need an opinion on this idea of mine...!!

Chris Cocuzzo wrote:

>hey-
>
>I'm writing my band's website mostly in PHP. My original idea was to use a
>switch statement to compensate for all the different functions i would need
>to use, for example a function to stream songs, download songs, display
>links, display shows, etc...
>
>I wanted to have all these functions on one master page called index.php,
>and then have one of the functions within my switch statement be used for
>display each individual page. So this function would include each separate
>php file, and then basically the master file has all of the functions that
>each page needs to function correctly. Is this a good idea?
>
>also. related question. if I have a file called index.php, and I include
the
>file bio.php on that page, will the $PHP_SELF variable be set to bio.php,
or
>to index.php?
>
>thanks
>chris

In a nutshell, you've just described the 'fusebox' method.  Originated
under Cold Fusion, there are
movements to port this style to PHP and ASP, and probably other platforms.

It's not bad, but personally, I think it's a bit weak in some cases -
we've taken it a step further in house,
but the idea is similar.

fusebox.org has more info on this style.

Michael Kimsal
http://www.tapinternet.com/php/
PHP Training Courses
734-480-9961