The curly braces look like something from the smarty template engine.

Warren Vail
-----Original Message-----
From: Kim Madsen [mailto:php....@emax.dk]
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:18 AM
To: Nick Cooper
Cc: Jim Lucas; php-general@lists.php.net
Subject: Re: [PHP] PHP String convention

Hi Nick

Nick Cooper wrote on 2009-10-28 17:29:

> Thank you for the quick replies. I thought method 2 must be faster
> because it doesn't have to search for variables in the string.
>
> So what is the advantages then of method 1 over 3, do the curly braces
> mean anything?
>
> 1) $string = "foo{$bar}";
>
> 2) $string = 'foo'.$bar;
>
> 3) $string = "foo$bar";
>
> I must admit reading method 1 is easier, but writing method 2 is
> quicker, is that the only purpose the curly braces serve?

Yes, you're right about that. 10 years ago I went to a seminar were
Rasmus Lerforf was speaking and asked him exactly that question. The
single qoutes are preferred and are way faster because it doesn´t have
to parse the string, only the glued variables.

Also we discussed that if you´re doing a bunch of HTML code it's
considerably faster to do:

Than
print "
\n\t<tr>
   \n\t\t<td>$data</td>
\n\t</tr>";

or
print '

I remember benchmark testing it afterwards back then and there was
clearly a difference.

--
Kind regards
Kim Emax - masterminds.dk