Hi, I've spent ages trying to figure out a good way for this. Ghostscript
and ImageMagick were slow and not giving satisfactory results because the
colors were wrong in some instances.

The solution for me was to use ImageMagick with X-PDF. You can install xpdf
in any linux distro or even on windows. It has a neat little program called
pdf2ppm which converts a PDF into a bitmap format which convert from
imagemagick can then transform. Even though the ppm images are huge, it
seems to work faster than using just convert.

++Tim Hinnerk Heuer++

http://www.ihostnz.com