On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 10:36 +1000, Angus Mann wrote:

> Why can't you put the update on the same LAN server that the app resides?
>
> If that is not possible, what about using CURL, and update if it can connect
> successfully, but don't if it cannot?
>
>       Thanks,
>       Ash
>       http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
>
>       Since the LAN is remote (many hundreds of miles away) from the source
> of the update, the only practical way to deliver an update every month or
> week to multiple users is to make it available for download from a central
> "update server".
>
>       I'm just trying to maximize efficiency by checking if an internet
> connection exists, and abandoning further attempts to check for update
> availability if it does not.
>
>       The idea to use CURL seems valid, but it pre-supposes that I know the
> answer to my own question. To use your suggestion, I'd have to have some
> mechanism to detect if it "can connect successfully". I'm asking what that
> mechanism should be, and if the one I've suggested is good, or flawed in some
> way.

I think the only way to detect if it can connect to the Internet is to
see if you can grab a file from somewhere on the Internet. I'd hazard a
guess that when operating systems are able to tell you they can "connect
to the Internet" they are actually saying they can ping a predetermined
remote host. I think checking if PHP can grab a remote file with Curl
would be sufficient in this case.