Tedd,

If you are using a post method using $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], then values are
present in the POST array, hence, you would write your html with
interspersed php like so:

<input type="text" name="username" value="<?php if
(isset($_POST['username'])) echo $_POST['username'] ?>" id="username" />

I sometimes use a function for the echoing of these values if I use the same
form for first time (ie. registration) and editing (update), and the
function checks for a $_POST value, then secondly for an existing database
value variable (ie. $row['username']). If either exist, populate the input
with it (precedence given to POST), otherwise it is empty.

The function looks something this:

function echoValue($post=null, $row=null) {
    if (isset($post)) {
        echo $post;
    } elseif (isset($row)) {
        echo $row;

and is used like this:

<input type... value="<?php echoValue($_POST['username'], $row['username'] )
?>" id="username" />

after performing a query on a query-string variable (eg. profile.php?id=57
---> 'SELECT * FROM `users` WHERE `id` = '.$_GET['id'] ) etc.