I have a Database class that I instantiate with credential information. The
connect method connects and creates a resource by the name $link_id. So if I
do this:

$db = new Database($server, $user, $password, $database);
$db->connect();

To get the resource (for use by mysql_insert_id() for example), I use
$db->link_id, so to get the last inserted record:
$id = mysql_insert_id($db->link_id);

Now for my question:

I have another class for creating pages (content). I have a method called
newPage() that accepts 4 arguments: title, content, role_id, display, and
description.

If I need to get the ID of this new page (which is inserted to a mysql table
with an id field with auto_increment), how would I access my database
object? Here is what I have, but first I should provide a brief explanation:
I am trying to pass the database object to any other object that needs to
access the database so that I am assured a connection exists before using
any query methods. So instead of  Database::query($sql), I have
$this->db->query($sql).

Here are some code snippets:

Content.class.php:
class Page {

    private $db;                // Contains reference to instance of the
Database class
    private $notify;            // Contains reference to instance of the
Notifier class
    private $URL;

    public function __construct($dbconnection, $root, $id = null)
    {
        $this->db = $dbconnection;
        $this->notify = Notifier::getInstance();
        $this->URL = $root . 'content/';

        if (isset($id)) {
            $result = $this->db->query('SELECT * FROM `content` WHERE
`page_id` = \''. $id .'\'');
            $data = $this->db->fetch_array($result);

header.php:
require_once('lib/class/Database.class.php');
$db = new Database($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpass, $dbname);
$db->connect();
require_once('lib/class/Notifier.class.php');
$notify = Notifier::getInstance(); // self instantiates
require_once('lib/class/Content.class.php');
$page = new Page($db, ROOT);

Does this look right? I don't think I've ever seen two -> operators together
like this before...

I don't want to keep connecting to the database, and more importantly, my
Notifier class should only be a single instance, so I need to be able to
amend to a static array variable in that class from within other classes.

Thanks for any help you can provide, and happy holidays!