These are called (well, one name for it), is ternary operator.  It's not
PHP specific and a search on google will find some results.  Regarding
PHP, brief discussion (with examples) can be found at the following
locations :

 http://www.php.net/manual/language.expressions.php
 http://www.php.net/manual/language.operators.comparison.php

I don't think it's recommended to use it for multiple lines, looks kinda
screwy.  Although, each to their own.

Regards,
Philip