The suggestion to use the ".php" extension instead of the ".inc" extension
doesn't work.

I created to identical files, swordfish.php and swordfish.inc, containing
the following script:

    <?php
    define("PASSWORD", "swordfish");
    ?>

When I use the following lines

    include ('http://www.friendshipcenter.com/Objects/swordfish.inc');
    echo "Your password is ", PASSWORD;

it works, i.e., prints "Your password is swordfish."

When I use the following lines

    include ('http://www.friendshipcenter.com/Objects/swordfish.php');
    echo "Your password is ", PASSWORD;

it doesn't work, i.e., prints "Your password is PASSWORD."

I tried putting swordfish.inc in my "cgi-bin" directory, which is outside my
"www" directory.  I can't figure out what pathname to call it with.  I.e.,

    include ('cgi-bin/swordfish.inc');

can't find the file.

As I wrote earlier, my .inc files can be read by anyone typing in the URL.
It doesn't matter if there are <?php ?> lines.  .inc files don't execute.

I rent server space from phpwebhosting.com, so I can't change the PHP
settings.

Any other ideas how to hide a password file?
--
Thomas David Kehoe, author of
"THE EVOLUTION OF INTIMATE RELATIONSHIPS"