To do what you want that new httpd server should at least be able to
call up PHP via cli / whatever, and retrieve the output.
It also needs to provide what's in php called $_GET and $_POST.

Assuming you got that covered, then yes, you could route the calls via
ajax (i recommend jquery.com for that) to your non-php httpd, which
then forwards it (and the results back).
What i'd do if it HAD to be done this way, is pass a couple of extra
variables in each call from javascript. It's best to route all the
ajax calls to php to the same script on the non-php httpd, so you'd
need at least the "relative path (from serverside defined absolute
base-path for your php subsystem) to the script being called" (or even
an MD5/SHA256 of this rel path, if you're on the paranoid side; you
then inform (via an array) the non-php httpd about all the scripts
that may be called from javascript, without giving up the scripts
names to spies along the line)

But tbh, whoever thought of changing the type of server used and
thereby giving you this new problem, should have also thought of how
to not-dump tons of existing code. Not to mention developer experience
with a specific language.

If this new httpd is so damn good at something that it has to be used,
it still doesn't mean it has to be used for the entire system either.
You might be giving it more work than it is comfortable with, that
way.

So depending on your backend size (in terms of number of machines
used) & setup, you might even campaign to keep an apache in the
picture and let it perform work on the database / file storage
system..