Michael, while i respect your choices, i think you should know that
jquery.com is pretty good at minimizing browser-incompatibility
headaches (and keeping js apps small), and the quircks that are left
are easy enough to learn about.

for things whereby
- the server needs to generate tons of HTML for a small(ish) dataset, or
- the client generates data (also to be translated to html) that the
server doesnt really need to know about (yet)

js can really take some stress off the server.