2010/3/18 Ashley Sheridan <a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk>

> Technically, PHP isn't embedded in any language; it's the other way around.
>
> XML and PHP are used together more often than you might realise. Consider
> Ajax and RSS, which are becoming more and more popular. Also, there are
> sites out there that are almost entirely XML-based; just have a look at the
> World of Warcraft (yes I play it!) website.
>
> Sure - XML is often used and served.
But in general, a web server only parses PHP-Files (ie. .+\.php\d?) unless
you configure your server to parse any file or .xml files. So the XML <? is
not a problem at all for the interpreter.

> For me, I originally learnt PHP using the <?php tags. I only found out
> about short tags when I first ran into the problem with them on shared
> hosting that had them turned off. To me, it didn't make much sense in using
> something that wasn't portable. For the same reason, I try to avoid using
> obscure PHP modules when I know a system will end up on a closed hosting
> platform like this.

My opinion to this is that I seperate markup from code. I use a template
system in my .tpl files and these will never get parsed. Inline PHP is not
my choice.
But when I'm about to update a project that is written with inline php, I
appreciate the short tags for their ease of use. I also enjoy typing less.
:-)

Regards