On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Teus Benschop <teusjanne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 21:32 -0700, Tommy Pham wrote:
>> # of requests / second can be solved by load balancers/clusters.  What
>> about the multiple answers for a simple request per user as in my
>> example?  How you would solve that if not by threading?  Amazon has
>> about 30 million products and they have filters similar to what I
>> mentioned.  But when clicking on one of the I18n site at the bottom,
>> you're taken to another server, which looks like it uses a different
>> DB back end (I could be wrong) and you don't get instant translation
>> of the category you're looking at.  Their response time is about 3
>> seconds on my 10mbs (not cable) download.  As for what programming
>> language they use...
>>

> Well, the multiple answers for a simple request per user as in your
> example, seem to be a lot of information to display all on one page, and
> present all that information to the user in one request. I would
> probably resolve it, IMHO, by using pagers. That is, only part of the

Pagers are needed when there's a lot of products to display.  But
using the filters and show them is different.  Look at Amazon (not
endorsing it).  Click any category.  You'll see what I mean by the
filters (manufacturers, price range, subcategories, etc) and the
display requirements (specials, bestsellers) as I mentioned.  They
also have other things, like shoppers' discussions, on that page too.
Think about how many queries they have to run for all that info to
show based on a simple request of a 'category'.  Then time the
response time.