I do this on several large high-traffic sites, as part of a
content-management system, and it works fine.   If you also use a script
cache product (Zend Cache or APC) and a cacheing template engine (cough,
cough) together in this kind of environment, you should see excellent
results, with the database engine being your largest bottleneck.

- Tim
  http://www.phptemplates.org